BROCHURE

BUILT HERITAGE

BUILT HERITAGE

MAIN CHURCH OF NOSSA SENHORA DO ROSÁRIO

Originally built in late 18th century, this church was later reconstructed as it currently stands, being finally inaugurated on May 5, 1898. The Church of São Nicolau became a Cathedral in the days when the Bishop of Cabo Verde moved from Santiago to the island of São Nicolau in search for a better climate and peaceful atmosphere.

 

Belvedere in Cachaço

Located in the so-called “Caminho Novo” (new path), it provides an impressive view over the Valley of Ribeira Brava and the city as well.

 

SEMINARY/HIGH SCHOOL

First seminary of Cabo Verde. Former residence of the philanthropist Júlio José Dias (the island’s doctor and benefactor) who donated it in 1866 to accommodate the Seminary and the High School, which prepared and trained several of the greatest figures of the Cabo Verdean political and cultural life.

 

SANCTUARY OF N.S. MONTE DO CINTINHA

“Erected at the foot of the hill “Monte Cintinha”, the chapel was built by Conan Bouças, former vice-principal of the Seminary-High School, and opened in 1919. At the present time, it is one of the island’s most important sanctuaries, becoming the stage of a pilgrimage in honor of the Patron Saint, N.S. do Monte Cintinha, every year, in May.

 

 

ORPHANAGE RAINHA SANTA ISABEL

CALEIJAO

Purely a religious institution. It used to shelter young girls who were placed under the care and keeping of the religious women of Amor de Deus. It started its activities in Caleijão, in the building that was previously home to the bishops. It was established in 1943 and played, up to the seventies, a key role in civic and Christian education, as well as in fostering moral and good manners amongst young people. Source: http://snmonumentos.blogspot.pt/

 

FORTRESS OF PREGUIÇA

Built on São Jorge Bay in early 19th century to cope with and in defense against the constant pirate raids. Make sure to visit the fishing village of Preguiça where fishermen dive from boats to catch lobsters by hand.

 

TARRAFAL FISHING MUSEUM

This museum is located in the city of Tarrafal and is devoted to the history of fishing on the island, including whaling activities and the canning industry.